Non-NHS Services

The NHS provides most health care to most people free of charge, but there are exceptions such as prescription charges. The NHS does not employ GP’s but has a contract with them to provide NHS general medical services for their patients. Sometimes GP’s are asked to provide additional services which fall outside their contract with the NHS. In these circumstances they are entitled to make a reasonable charge for providing them. It is up to the individual practice to decide how much to charge, although the BMA produces lists of suggested fees for the doctors to use as a guideline.

When a doctor signs a certificate or completes a report, the doctor needs to check the patient’s entire medical record to ensure they are providing accurate information. GP’s will not be able to complete forms immediately so please ensure you give them reasonable notice.

The following are examples of non-NHS services GP’s can charge their NHS patients: 

  • Certain travel vaccinations
  • Private medical insurance reports
  • Holiday cancellation claim forms
  • Referral for private care forms
  • Letter requested by, or on behalf of the patient
  • Simple certificates such as fitness to fly
  • HGV Medicals

The following are examples of non-NHS charges can charge other institutions: 

  • Medical reports for Insurance Companies
  • Some reports for DSS/Benefits agency
  • Examinations of company employees

Charges at Wallingford Medical Practice:

The full list of charges for non-NHS work is available here Fees and Charges leaflet and at the reception desk. If you require your GP to complete a form or report which falls outside the GP’s NHS contract the appropriate fee will be charged. Please note that payment for all non-NHS work are payable in advance before any work is started. An invoice will be raised and payment can be made either by cheque, cash or credit/debit card at the reception desk. A receipt will be issued for any payments made.

If you have any problems regarding the contents of this page or need further explanation please contact the practice and ask to speak to the practice manager.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website